Dr. Robert Brolin has performed many types of bariatric surgery, from gastric bypass to sleeve gastrectomy, over the course of his 35+ year career.
Dr. Brolin is especially well known for his diagnostic expertise in evaluating problems and complications of bariatric operations performed by other surgeons. This has led him to become a highly sought after bariatric expert witness in a variety of medical legal cases.
Types of Bariatric Surgery Performed
- Gastric Sleeve
Sleeve gastrectomy is a procedure in which about 85% of the stomach is removed, leaving 15% of the original capacity, which is shaped like a sleeve.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
This procedure seperates the stomach into two unequal compartments with less than 5% of the stomach remaining usable for food consumption. During digestion, the food empties from this tiny stomach pouch into the upper intestine.
- Revisional Bariatric Surgery
Revisional (reoperative) bariatric operations may be performed for problems and complications regarding the previous bariatric procedure or for unsatisfactory weight loss.
- Removal of Adjustable Bands
An inflatable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach which divides it into two unequal parts. Due to the high failure rate of this surgery, Dr. Brolin has removed many gastric bands.
Bariatric Expert Witness
Dr. Brolin is available as an expert witness in legal cases involving bariatric surgery. He reviews cases for both plaintiffs (about 40%) and defendant physicians (about 60%). In prior court cases, he has almost always been on the winning side — approximately 50% of plaintiff cases and more than 90% of defense cases (only one loss).